A protester has been killed in Mon district of Nagaland state after Indian security forces fired at people demonstrating against the killing of 13 civilians a day earlier in the northeastern state.
Fresh violence erupted on Sunday after a big crowd of people marched to a security forces camp in Mon town and started hitting and burning buildings, a state government official told media.
The killings of the civilians allegedly by security forces in what the officials described a “botched-up” operation has sparked widespread outrage in Nagaland, which has witnessed decades of armed rebellion against the rule. The region has been relatively quiet in recent years, as armed groups started negotiations with the central government.
“The people are very angry,” said Honang Konyak, the vice president of the Konyak Union, the apex body of the Konyak Tribe which dominates Mon district located on the Indo-Myanmar border.
At least six people were killed after security forces fired at a truck carrying coal-mine workers, who were mistaken for “militants”. Seven more civilians were killed after local residents clashed with the security forces later on Saturday evening.
Nagaland government rushed top police and government officials and clamped prohibitory orders in Mon town. Earlier, it banned mobile internet and SMS services in the entire district citing “apprehension of grave law and order problems”.
The ban was lifted on Sunday evening, but Sandeep M Tamgadge, the additional director general of police in Nagaland, confirmed that the situation remained tense.
A special investigations team comprising of five police officials has been formed under Tamgadge’s supervision. “It has been tasked to investigate the case within one month,” said.
The Spear Corps of the Indian Army said it regretted the incident and its aftermath.
“The cause of the unfortunate loss of lives is being investigated at the highest level and proper action will be taken as per law,” reads the statement.